Thursday, August 05, 2010

To You, My Little Lola

When I look at Lola, I see a wonderfully bright little girl. I see charm and curiosity. I see warmth and a sense of humor. I see determination and joy! Being around her has made me a better person. I see myself, now, in a raw and stripped down matter. I see myself for who I really am. I see, and acknowledge, my flaws. And it makes me want to be better. For her. I want to be the parent she can be proud of. I want to be the parent she can look up to. The parent she can confide in.

I see the unconditional love she has for me. And I'm hooked. She gives and gives and gives. And when she is on the couch, about to put her big browns to rest, she reaches for the hand that is rubbing her back and gives it little squeezes. The squeezes mimic a Mores Code message, encrypted with the words I Love You, Mama. And even when we've  had the worst day, the kind where we're both in need of time-outs, at the end of the day she still gives an endless amount of heart-warming snuggles and smooches. The only thing she knows is love!

I feel that if I only learn one thing from being a mother, I hope that it is to love, unconditionally and whole-heatedly, just like she does. I hope that that kind of love would flow from my heart, through my veins, out to those around me.

So to the daughter that is changing and molding me into a better woman, mother, and human being, 
Thank You

Thank you for being the little wonder you are.

With Love, 
Your Mama

1 comment:

sherry said...

This is so beautiful, Lucy. You two have such a special relationship. She's so lucky to have you as a mama.