Thursday, August 12, 2010

Feeding the Soul; Nourishing the Spirit

I love crisp mornings. I love waking up in cozy sweat pants and getting to appreciate the early morning breeze. This morning, however, was a little different than most. The sky was dark and gloomy, and resembled that of an early autumn morning. The ones I've been missing lately. Dreadfully missing. I feel like I don't really have the room to be complaining about the heat we've been having, or more like the lack of it. We could be baking in the 100+ degree weather like our fellow Southern Californians...pity. Although I do hear that it has been a rather mild summer for them. Days only reaching up in the high 90's. AAAAAAAaaaahhhhhhhh..... if you ask me! Might I note, it is 3:45pm and only 74 degrees with a breeze???!!!?!? Go ahead...be jealous...be VERY jealous

....Like I was saying....

Once all the windows and blinds were opened up and the Delta breeze began to make its way through our little nest, I realized that today would be a day that I was in need of. So I declared it "Picnic Wednesday", those of you who are my friend on Facebook probably noticed the update on their feed, and set off to make the most of this gorgeous day. Just chubbs and me. 

  I packed our brunch, fresh fruit and Greek yogurt, some fun books to read on the grass, Lola's blanket and her gal-pal, before stopping by the coffee shop on our way out. There I picked up every mothers' best friend, an iced double soy latte, apple juice for Lola-this would be a first for her- and a "special occasion soda" for me. Today was definitely going to be our day! 


 We, then, made our way, up and over to my new favorite place to cheat on my diet, Sugarplum. This is the place I (want to) flock to when I'm in need of some "soul lovin". And was my soul in need of lovin'. The girl at the counter wrote this encouraging message on our bag!


How could I not smile? I was spending a day with Lo outdoors, with sweet treats, bubbly soda and avoiding my chores. And as I kept walking the some odd blocks to the park I realized, I was happy. I was really, really, REALLY happy. I felt like today would be the day that restored me. A much needed 'time-out' from reality, just to enjoy Lola and make it about our mother-daughter duet. The more I walked, the faster my stresses were grabbed by the breeze that quickly blew them away. And with that breeze-blessed mentality came peace. A peace that wanted to do anything and everything to make this day about my little Lola. I was put in a trance. One filled in an unfamiliar way, enveloped by my love for my daughter.

As I looked down at her, I noticed my little bean had fallen fast asleep. I guess it was necessary for her to take a pre-picnic siesta, it was, after all, our day! She was out. She slept through the half-dozen lawn mowers and leaf blowers, jack-hammers, and the (random) blue race car.

 
Lola quickly made a friend at the park. He was a sweet little boy. He played nicely with her, helping her up and down the step, and showing her how to go down the slide.


 We soon retreated to the cool shade and set up camp. An extra large pink beach towel, books, drinks, fruit salad, sweet treats and, of course, a spot for Lola's gal-pal. Spending the time perched Indian-styled, face to face around details of a memorable picnic. Lola's little digits plucking out the fruit that caught her eye, dipping it into cool, refreshing Greek yogurt, was an extra treat. God bless those little fingers!


I love watching those little chunks go from fruit to yogurt, yogurt to mouth, chomp-chomp-chomp, to yogurt then back to mouth, chomp, and repeat!


....and then we moved on to dessert....


I loved the way Lola's little whispies fluttered so delicately with the breeze. 


 So much joy comes from being a mother. Being Lola's mother! I always thought that having joy was just another way of saying you were happy, but I think it goes much deeper than that. Much deeper than being really, really, REALLY happy. Having joy is a true, pure, and spirit-lifting feeling. It's something that I have only felt when surrounded by my little family. I can't put into words, well enough, what my heart has been feeling. All I can say is I HAVE JOY! Being joyful is how I feel with Pieter and Lola- my adventurous and free-spirited little girl.



 The rest of the afternoon was spent reading, picking little flowers from the grass, and of course, trying to keep her from straying too far. It was a wonderful way to spend a day outdoors.







I declare every second Wednesday official "Picnic Wednesday"!

3 comments:

Katie said...

How wonderful! Thanks for the refreshing look at your life. I can't decide if it makes me miss you more, or less because now I feel like I have a tiny part in it. I'm so glad you're happy, my love.

jenny baker said...

i'd love to have a picnic wednesday together with our girls someday!

it's crazy to think that she's already 15 months! has it really been five months since we last saw you??

i love that picture where she's reaching for the cupcake, definitely frame worthy. :)

Dawn said...

Picnic Wednesday Rocks!