Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Little Things - Pals

Lola loves her Jessie doll. Naturally, when a child loves something as much as Lola does, mishaps, broken and misplaced pieces are to be expected. Tears and confusion are also to be expected. A lack of understanding. A sense of helplessness. Like the tiny little world she thought she knew was crumbling before her eyes.


I wish the part where I explain how I put Miss Jessie's boot back on what appeared to be an amputated leg was both intricate and intriguing, leaving you wanting to hear more about the parts where I elaborately stitched a stitch so fine, attaching the two, leaving her good as new. I wish that I could get into detail about the time it took to meticulously place that little brown boot on her nub to match up perfectly with the opposing. Details that resembled a little more of this and a lot less Gorilla Glue.

 Moments where I tell you how this complicated and high-risk procedure had my little girl sitting at the edge of her high chair nervously awaiting the fate of her dear Jessie doll. The tension subsided once I finished. I explained to Lola that Jessie needed to rest so she would be better and ready to play in the morning. 

*****
Jessie has fully recovered. She and Lola are once again best pals. Keeping Gorilla Glue on  hand is a life saver. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

soto said...

I love the way you write. When's the book coming out? ;0)