Friday, September 17, 2010

Celebrating Annalisa

Today marks seventeen wonderful years that I have known my sister. It's amazing how fast the time has gone by, from when she was only a little baby, to "my princess", transforming into a beautiful, young woman, and my best friend. I remember loving her so much when she was a baby, dressing her up like she was a little doll and having that good ol' fashion love/hate relationship with her when we shared a room. I remember the way she always wanted to tag along and pow-wow in the room when I had friends over, and that time I was so upset with her because she used my flat iron to "straighten" her Barbie's hair (Ha! More like melt it right off!) I remember the yellow piece of paper I got in the mail when I was away at college. The funny picture of two sisters sitting, arms around each other and her barely-legible print that read, "I saw this picture of two sisters. It reminded me of us." I remember the way my eyes flooded with tears. It being the pick-me-up I needed to get through finals week. She has always been my constant reminder of the good in life, and how easy it should be to love unconditionally. 

I rarely miss living in Southern California, except when I am missing family and friends. Then I miss it. Terribly. It has been hard to be away from her these last couple years. Today was a rough one. I wished that I could have been there today, to welcome her from school, showering her with gifts. With Love. I really wished today that she would just know how special she is to me. I wish that I could be there to celebrate all her achievements. I know, though, that these are only the markers at the beginning in her race, in her success. She will go far!

Annalisa has always been very supportive of who I am. And even though we have our falling outs from time to time, nothing takes away from the love that is deep down at the center of it all. She is a true friend, my best friend, and I know she will always be there for me. Happy Birthday Annalisa! I love you more than you'll ever know!


1 comment:

Jhen.Stark said...

Hi Lucy!!! I discovered your blog when I was getting to know my followers.

This is a beautiful post about your sister!!! Made me think of mine, which brought tears and now I must write her an email!

And hey, nice "meeting" you on here!!!

A fellow Yucaipian,
_jhen