Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Love Like No Other

A mother's love is indescribable. It is plentiful and valuable, and is drawn deep from within, surging out through limbs and pores, radiating the hearts of her children. It encompasses her family and fills voids. It is selfless and it is pure and being a bearer of this beautiful gift is an honor. It is that kind of love that makes anything possible.


It is not an easy task at times, motherhood, but it is fueled by an unconditional love- a greater love than I ever hoped or expected to be capable of. It has made our now foggy memories of sleepless nights, partnered with midnight feedings, diaper changes, lack of showers and day old clothes worth it. That love has buffed away the thoughts of frustration and the envies of sleep, and in doing so, has fluffed the snuggles and the butterfly kisses and spur-of-the-moment hugs.


We joke around about how when Lo grows up, she's going to be the best human, but when I really think about it, all joking aside, that's all I really want for her. I want her to grow up to be honest, confident, brave, intellectual and witty, but above that, I want her to be able to love unconditionally and openly. I want her to love hard! I want her to be able to touch hearts the way she does now.

This puts things into perspective for me. What do I need to do now to ensure that my little chicken grows up to be that best human we joke about? Well, the answer is simple. LOVE.

I never thought in a million years that my life would be what it is today, but looking back at the route I had planned for myself I realize that I was selling myself short. There was, and is, so much more in store for me. For our family. We have been truly and abundantly blessed by our little girl. I can't imagine my life without her, and to be honest, I don't really care to know where my life would have gone. My life is rich.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I love this, Lucy! I hate to admit it, but you made this Mama cry. Amazing post.

Brittany said...

I LOVE this post Lucy! So true and so well said. She will be brave and confident and true and she will LOVE, don't you worry! So darling!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Brought tears to my eyes. Love the photos too! xx

sherry said...

I'm teary, too. Love.

Thank you for loving her into a fabulous human. The world is, and will continue to be, a better place because you made her.

Jhen.Stark said...

YES! YES! YES!!! Such a beautiful post, wonderfully painted with words!

Oh the generation we could raise if we just kept the desire to see our Children LOVE in all ways by all means!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written! Lola is so lucky to have you for a mom.